About the Exam
Section I: Multiple Choice
60 questions 1hr 50% of Score
The multiple-choice section includes individual questions as well as sets of questions. You’ll be asked to:
- Analyze geographic concepts, processes, patterns, and relationships
- Analyze geographic data from maps, tables, charts, graphs, satellite images, and infographics.
- Interpret geographic information represented visually in maps, satellite images, photographs, cartoons, and landscapes.
- Analyze spatial relationships using geographic scales
Section II: Free Response
3 questions 1hr 15mins 50% of Score
In the free-response section, you’ll respond to three questions with written answers. All three will present an authentic geographic situation or scenario, and at least two will ask you to explain and analyze spatial relationships across geographic scales.
- The first question will have text only.
- The second question will ask you to analyze and/or interpret data, an image, or a map.
- The third question will feature two stimuli, which will include data, images, and/or maps.
At least one of the free-response questions assesses your ability to analyze across geographic scales to explain spatial relationships.
Credit and Placement
Search AP Credit Policies
Find colleges that grant credit and/or placement for AP Exam scores in this and other AP courses.