Pay close attention to the task verbs used in the free-response questions. Each one directs you to complete a specific type of response. Here are the task verbs you’ll see on the exam:
- Analyze: Examine methodically and in detail literary texts for purposes of explanation and interpretation.
- Compare: Provide a description or explanation of similarities and/or differences.
- Discuss: Provide information about a selected topic with some elaboration.
- Explain: Provide information about how or why a selected topic is significant.
- Identify: Indicate or provide information about a specified topic, without elaboration or explanation.
- Include examples: Provide specific examples and explain how they support a claim.
- Read: Look at or view printed directions and information.
- Write: Produce a response in writing.