To support students affected by school closures due to the coronavirus pandemic, we’re offering at-home testing for 2020 AP Exams. This means changes to some of our processes and policies. Note that these adjustments may not be reflected on all AP Students pages including this one. For the most updated information, visit Updates for AP Students Affected by Coronavirus.
Pay close attention to the task verbs used in the free-response questions. Each one directs you to complete a specific type of response. Here are the task verbs you’ll see on the exam:
- Analyze: Examine methodically and in detail literary texts for purposes of explanation and interpretation.
- Compare: Provide a description or explanation of similarities and/or differences.
- Discuss: Provide information about a selected topic with some elaboration.
- Explain: Provide information about how or why a selected topic is significant.
- Identify: Indicate or provide information about a specified topic, without elaboration or explanation.
- Include examples: Provide specific examples and explain how they support a claim.
- Read: Look at or view printed directions and information.
- Write: Produce a response in writing.