To support students affected by school closures due to the coronavirus pandemic, we’re offering at-home testing for 2020 AP Exams. This means changes to some of our processes and policies. Note that these adjustments may not be reflected on all AP Students pages including this one. For the most updated information, visit Updates for AP Students Affected by Coronavirus.
Pay close attention to the task verbs used in the free-response questions. Each one directs you to complete a specific type of response. Here are the task verbs you’ll see on the exam:
- Attribute: Identify the artist, culture, art-historical style, or object type of an unknown work of art.
- Describe: Provide the relevant characteristics of a specified topic or work of art.
- Explain: Provide information about how or why a relationship, process, pattern, position, situation, or outcome occurs, using evidence and/or reasoning. Explain “how” typically requires analyzing the relationship, process, pattern, position, situation, or outcome; whereas, explain “why” typically requires analysis of motivations or reasons for the relationship, process, pattern, position, situation, or outcome.
- Identify: Indicate or provide information about a work of art, including title or designation, artist, culture of origin, style, date or materials, without elaboration or explanation.
- Justify attribution: Provide rationale or justification for an attribution of an unknown work of art using specific visual and/or contextual evidence.