Request Exam Accommodations

You can work with your school’s SSD coordinator to request accommodations for taking your AP Exams.

If you have a documented disability that affects how you test, you may be eligible for accommodations on the AP Exams such as:

  • Braille exam format
  • Assistive technology–compatible (ATC) exam format
  • Large-print exam format
  • Extended time
  • Extra breaks
  • Large-block answer sheets
  • Permission to use a computer for typing essays
  • Permission to use a magnification device (electronic or non-electronic)
  • A human reader to dictate questions
  • A writer/scribe to record responses
  • A written copy of oral instructions

In order to receive accommodations, you or your school’s SSD coordinator must request them from College Board’s Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office.

Below is an overview of the accommodations process. Visit SSD Accommodations on College Board Exams for details.


Determine if you’re eligible.

Most students who receive accommodations in school receive the same accommodations for College Board exams. Speak to your school’s SSD coordinator to determine if accommodations will be needed.

Ask your school to request accommodations for you.

Your school’s SSD coordinator will be able to place the request for you via our online portal. You are your own best advocate for ensuring that you receive the testing accommodations you need. Discuss your needs with your SSD coordinator as early as possible before the deadline and be sure to confirm with them that everything has been submitted. They’ll be able to alert you when your request is approved.

To submit a request without your school’s involvement, download a paper form from the SSD website.

Provide documentation, if requested.

The online system will alert your SSD coordinator to what documentation is needed to process your request, if any.

Confirm your status.

Your SSD coordinator will alert you when your request is approved.