To support students affected by school closures due to the coronavirus pandemic, we’re offering at-home testing for 2020 AP Exams. This means changes to some of our processes and policies. Note that these adjustments may not be reflected on all AP Students pages including this one. For the most updated information, visit Updates for AP Students Affected by Coronavirus.
Pay close attention to the task verbs used in the free-response questions. Each one directs you to complete a specific type of response. Here are the task verbs you’ll see on the exam:
- Analyze: Examine methodically and in detail the structure of the topic of the question, for purposes of explanation and interpretation.
- Identify/Name or other interrogatory words such as What? Which? Who? Does? Why? Where? Indicate or provide information about a specified topic, without elaboration or explanation.
- Scan/Mark the scansion: Annotate the metrical pattern of a line of dactylic hexameter.
- Translate: Render or express Latin text literally into English.
- Write: Produce a response in writing.