Pay close attention to the task verbs used in the free-response questions. Each one directs you to complete a specific type of response. Here are the task verbs you’ll see on the exam:
- Analyze: Examine methodically and in detail the structure of the topic of the question, for purposes of explanation and interpretation.
- Identify/Name or other interrogatory words such as What? Which? Who? Does? Why? Where? Indicate or provide information about a specified topic, without elaboration or explanation.
- Scan/Mark the scansion: Annotate the metrical pattern of a line of dactylic hexameter.
- Translate: Render or express Latin text literally into English.
- Write: Produce a response in writing.